Dental Crowns are made of natural looking porcelain and are made to improve your overall smile or to blend in with your own teeth whilst strengthening the existing tooth structure.
A porcelain crown is the restoration of choice when a filling or inlay/onlay will no longer suffice.
Crowns surround the tooth like a hat bracing it underneath, whereas a large filling will act as a wedge, weakening the tooth.
Teeth with large fillings are prone to breaking or splitting.
When Are Porcelain Crowns Needed?
A crown may be recommended when:
- A previously filled tooth consists of more filling than tooth. The existing tooth structure becomes weakened and can no longer support the filling
- Extensive damage by decay
- Discolouration of your teeth
- The aesthetic look of the existing tooth compromises your entire smile
- Root canal – After root canal, teeth tend to become brittle and are more prone to fracture. These teeth need to be protected by a crown
- Bridges – When missing teeth are replaced with a dental bridge, the adjacent teeth require a crown in order to support the replacement teeth
Crowns strengthen and protect the remaining tooth structure and can improve the appearance of your teeth.
Crowns can be made from different materials which include:
- All Ceramic Crown (porcelain with no metal)
- Porcelain fused-to-metal crown (porcelain covering a metal substructure)
- Gold crown.
Fitting Dental Crowns
When proceeding with a porcelain crown two appointments are required.
During your first visit to Sunshine Coast Smile Centre, the tooth is prepared for the crown, an impression is made of the tooth, and a temporary crown is placed over the prepared tooth.
At the next visit, the temporary crown is removed and the final crown is fitted, adjusted and finally cemented into place.
As with all areas of restorative dentistry preparation and insertion of an ideal crown requires meticulous attention to detail and years of experience.
If you would like further information on dental crowns or you would like to book an appointment call Jess on 07 54432800.